Pages

Friday 12 June 2020

De First ASSEMBLY!

I was nervous, there was no denying it. My heart was pounding, I was
to only say a few words but something was hammering my confidence.
Making it nigh impossible to speak but I slowly forced myself to speak
and think. What is this? Ever since now I have been fearless, but
something was churning inside me, of course I didn’t give anything
away, somehow my problem related to the korero we were performing,
The Little Things Matter.


I was deep in thought as a presence entered my vision and shouted at
me “Toby! Your line…” Mr Jacobsen barked at me, I was shortly
shocked then obeyed his orders. “Hey, break it up you two remember
Pt England, Be kind with your actions and words” “apologise, please”
everyone laughed “It’s the little things that matter” then ran off the
stage preparing myself for what lay next. 


The real thing was much different, I had suddenly regained
confidence and presented my lines with my own style of not really
reading the exact words of a script but to do it my own way when
everyone’s not bored. I did exactly this and performed fluently. But
the worst part hadn’t come yet and I was juggling my feet, leaning on
one foot to the other, swaying slowly. Once again my mind was
concentrating on my training. Say this, say that, do this, do that my
mind was rehearsing the words and actions of the haka we were to
perform. Tika Tonu.


We were to perform this haka for our school principal as he
received an award from the Queen! And 2 year groups of year 7’s
and 8’s and a few school Teacher-aids were to recite this in front
of Mr Burts. This must be pretty big, I thought but then it’s the
Queen so why not. I heard the waiata finish and the haka began.


My Original Copy:

Assembly was great, I stood there and did stuff. What FUN!
woopeeee

4 comments:

  1. Hello Toby,

    Wonderful writing. I really love how you wrote it from your perspective, and in your own way. Great job! You did very well today in assembly! Also a great big congratulations to Mr Burt. I loved how your confidence level rose as you said your lines. I laughed too. Great job, and keep up the great work.

    From Jedida
    Year 8
    Pt England School

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Toby,

    Your second edition was beautiful - I'm so glad you rewrote this post.What do you think could have caused the nerves? It was an important assembly and we hadn't had one for ages.I thought your haka and performance was absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete