Pages

Monday 29 July 2019

Orienteering With Mr Jacobsen

Walt: Write a recount based on what happened with Mr Jacobsen

I wasn’t even startled to hear Mr Jacobsen’s announcement - “We’re doing Orienteering!!!” He said and obviously everyone cheered and laughed at one another as they all cracked jokes and celebrated, my reaction wasn’t as HIP HOORAY as the rest due to late nights so I wasn’t really keen at all. Mr J had set up an orienteering course by placing yellow plastic plates with letters and a direct course - a direction to head in, using the numbers of a compass. E.G Head 225 Degrees East or Head 430 Degrees North. We all learnt how to use a compass, and could easily mirror his actions as he double checked and repeated the entire process again. Obviously we were bored by the third time he explained it (you know how there’s always a person while your in a boring process and they don’t understand so they put up their hands and make the speaker repeat it all again.)

We each kept our compasses in hand or round our neck using some thread, I chose to hold mine. Mr J each gave us a different starting position and we got to work in groups, the max limit was pairs, I chose to be by myself though. I started at one of the trees and blasted off to the direction I was heading to the next mark (Or the mark I thought,) there were several marks close to one another so it was a relatively hard to tell which mark you were heading which also made it a very difficult course to complete.

There were about 10 marks that set the course and they were set around the Entire school. So we were pointing our compasses through the walls to the next mark but it was not in our vision, so we thought it was another mark which led us completely off course! Only 1 team succeeded (obviously it wasn’t mine,) I actually got it completely wrong! But at least I finished it and it was still enjoyable! I had loads of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment